Thursday, September 3, 2009

FORREST GUMP

"Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?"
"I didnt know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir."
Aaaaaah.......
When I heard the sentence first time, I went blank.. Dont know for how much time. How can anyone live the life in a way it is supposed to be lived in true sense.? It lead me to the basic question of life.
Most of us are bound to a lifestyle in which we have accepted so much without thinking about them a lot. As if they are meant to be there. But are they really? And this question gave rise to the extreme internal chaos. What am I going to be with this? And the man only gave answer to the question .. "I am going to be ME.."
And its really hard to be you. Because many of the times we just dont know what we are. I mean we do things just because we know that they are done by everyone in this way only. Do we really know what had we done if we didnt have any prejudice?
Well, to live life without prejudice is impossible as what we are at every moment is the sum of our lives till that moment. But what if any life is just so pure?
And it is FORREST GUMP.
The movie released on 6th July 1994, starring Tom Hanks in lead role, based on a novel by Winston Groom..
The movie is about the boy named Forrest Gump, living alone with his mother having below average IQ as well as problem with leg spine due to which he had to wear leg braces. The movie shows the journey of his life and some accidental incedents which gave him direction to move towards next thing.
Well, I am not going to tell the story here. I am stating such few things which made Forrest an integral part of my life.
Every soul in this world has something so pure. Forrest is the reflection of that purity. Everyone can find Forrest within himself/ herself. Forrest posseses many good qualities without even knowing what he has and how very rare they are!
But the best thing about Forrest is his love for Jenny. He loved her throughout his life without saying much 'I love you'. He loved her for what she was without even knowing the greatness of that love, he cared for her without being possessive, he stood for her whenever needed and never ever compelled her to love him back. I think the ability to love and accept someone as he/she is, is the greatest thing one can do for someone. Its not possible without leaving your ego and which is the most difficult thing. Its really difficult to be simple.. Isnt it?
The movie is full of great scenes. His narration about his life, the few scenes between him and his mother which showed the unique way she had used to brought up Forrest. The scene of Forrest-Bubba friendship, the relation Forrest had with Lt. Dan, in miltry as well as after being shrimping boat partners, the scene showing his intemacy with Jenny..... etc etc... But for me the best scene in the movie is when Forrest comes to know that little Forrest is his son. The expression Tom Hanks has given while becoming unable to ask wheather he can go, talk to his son are just just incredible.
Well, finally when we think what we like the most about Forrest, we just get confused. Is it his honesty or his ability to love or his simplicity or his hard working nature or his fidelity or being what he is? For me, after the movie I didnt feel like falling in love with him, I didnt feel to be like him, neither I felt he is the greatest man. It was just a satisfaction of getting to know something extremely pure. You can never feel like disturbing its purity by describing it. What else can you say about a man believing death is the part of life and same time wishing if its not...
I was missing something untill I watched the movie. Now he has become a part of my life in such a way that not a single day passes without thinking about him. No wonder the movie won 6 academy awards including best actor, best director and best movie.
For me Forrest Gump is not just a movie or a story or a character. Its the poetry of love, duty, fight, achievement, living, growing, accepting. Its an epic.
Thats all I have to say about that... :)

6 comments:

  1. Reflection of purity is always pure! Congrats!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done shweta.u never know which way the boat is gonna turn if u r stuck in the middle of a doldrum.but u have to hold on to it or u will drown.forrest gump is one such gritty characterwho showsu how to deal with challenges even when things are not goin his way.i must say that urs is a pure and from-the-heart attempt at portraying of forrest gump..
    gr8 job

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya v lead a life which v doesn't want 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. R...
    I didnt really get u.. Would u like to explain? I mean in case of forrest, he was not leading his life as well he didnt allow life to lead him... There was just perfect give and take relation between them..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think initially forrest did only those things which are asked to do.But he did that very perfectly and extraordinarily. Not just doing things , in the relationships as well. And then he did things which he loved to do.I think ha had less traffic or no trafic when he was on the way of doing anything. Initially he got rejection from everywhere, then he started to accept things and he did it without any complain, innocently and yes perfectly...

    ReplyDelete